Saturday, August 27, 2011

Leaving New York with a bang...and a hurricane


So I went from slightly irritated by the upcoming storm to full-on panicked. I actually went out and bought bottled water and some non-perishable snacks {wheat thins, peanut butter, chocolate - all the essential food groups}. I have filled up our bathtub with water. Mayor Bloomberg suggested doing so, and at first I laughed at the suggestion. First of all, how absurd that the hurricane is being projected as so aggressive that the mayor is giving out such detailed instructions? Second of all, what am I supposed to do with that water...drink it? Ish don’t think so.

absolutely not, Mayor.

My close friend (the one who took me here!) enlightened me to the horrifying truth of what a bathtub full of water means. It means having to boil the water for drinking, cooking, or teeth-brushing. It means having to manually make your toilet flush. Ew. Ew Ew Ew Ew Ew.

Can I go back to the Midwest now?

I’ve also become concerned that the inevitable flight cancellations this weekend will lead to mayhem at the airport throughout the week next week, delaying my flight home on Tuesday. Making matters worse, I have a layover in Detroit, so if my first leg is altered that affects my entire trip. Making matters even worse than that is that I am already an obnoxiously anxious flyer/mover/person and this wrinkle is about to give me high blood pressure.

What if my movers aren’t able to move me out at 9 am on Monday?

What if I can’t get all of my things out of my apartment before my flight out?

What if my flight is delayed beyond when I have my lease?

What if my building won’t give me my security deposit back because I didn’t move out when I said I would?

What if I am stuck here forever?

My boss tried to talk me out of a tree and give me pointers on meditating and finding my zen. Thank you, but I think I’m going to go ahead and continue freaking out.

And this is me without coffee. Imagine me with it - no, actually, don’t. That is the stuff horror films are made of. 


Any tips for survival?
Are you in the path of Hurricane Irene?
Have you ever had to fill your bathtub with water for emergency purposes??

2 comments:

  1. I'm in Raleigh NC and Irene is right off the NC coast right now. It's just really, really windy here now. I definitely recommend stocking up on all of the essentials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too saw the governor's advice to fill up the bathtub- eeeek! I'm in Jersey and dealing with a lot of evacuations and panic. Hopefully it won't be as bad as they're projecting. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete