Monday, August 22, 2011

Cleaning, the delicious way


I've always had a waste-not want-not mentality. In every day situations, I apply this by eating everything on my plate and wearing clothes I bought in high school (don't judge, I get compliments on 2005 purchases more than you would believe!)

Now, as I am preparing to move out of my NYC apartment and I am actually the last of my three roommates inhabiting the place (yes, it's creepy and weird and no, I do not have anywhere comfortable to sit) I am trying my best to clean out the space and use the remainder of all items that we purchased over the past year for our (actually, not so!) little abode.

This means that later I will be placing Swiffer wet wipes on my feet to clean our floor, fully reading all of the magazines before tossing them (I love magazines and have the most difficult time throwing them away - anybody with me?), and I am trying to find recipes to clear out all of the still-edible items in our pantry and refrigerator.

Lucky for me, these items include: white sugar, brown sugar, cocoa powder, eggs...yes, yes, all of the components for brownies, my favorite food in the world!

brownies, and my baking companion little bunny frou frou

Of course, I put these brownies together without sifting any of the dry ingredients, without an electric mixer, and all in a stove pot. Desperate times. And of course, the items in our pantry strictly prevented me from health-ifying these brownies in any manner. Oops.

I didn't come up with this recipe on my own as that's simply not the sort of thing I do, but if you're in the market for a good one, you can find the one I used here. And I can give you this one tidbit: If you're moving and you don't have any vanilla extract and don't want to buy any for the last week you're in the time zone, maple syrup can act as a substitute teaspoon for teaspoon, with no taste attached! Take it from me, I am a brownie expert. Also, if you have white chocolate chips on hand (I didn't) throw them in and don't look back!

Now I'm off to go make my co-workers fat and happy in their last week with me, those lucky ducks!


No comments:

Post a Comment