Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The American Dream, back again?

Did all y'all in America catch the State of the Union last night? I had actually forgotten about it (whoops!) until about 8:03 CST, but thankfully was able to listen to the entire speech. I am the first to let you know that I am very conservative and pretty skeptical if not downright upset regarding most policies Obama has put into play over the past three years. That being said, I have a great respect for our country and for the office of the presidency and was eager to hear what our president had to say and hopeful that he had some awesome ideas up his sleeve. I am not one of those individuals who seeks to tear down members of another political party or who hold to an opposing ideology just because, I think it is so important to continue to have dialogue and to truly understand where other people are coming from and the full implications of their political ideas. I'm not going to run around assuming that I'm always right; I think that's a dangerous position to hold.

Anyway, I'm also the first to tell you that Obama is one handsome, articulate man. Everything he says just sounds so good. But is it true? And are any of the programs he alludes to, or tax breaks, or reductions in regulations, really going to happen? And what are the unseen implications of some of the new policies he's proposing? These are just a few of the questions I always have to ask myself. I, probably like a lot of people, can get easily swept up in the formality and excitement and optimism surrounding the SOTU, forget the facts and just drink the punch of patriotism that is handed over to me that night.

I think it's important, as citizens of America or anywhere other country with an operating democracy, to always think for yourself, research the facts, disregard talking heads and ignore party lines.

One news source I like is CNN's website for just a glossy overview of what's hip, happening, and breaking. They have a little blog called the "Truth Squad," which, if you're not familiar with already, you should definitely check out! They do the fact-checking for you on some of the bolder claims politicians make in debates and speeches, and here is their assessment of Obama's speech and the corresponding Republican response.

What did you think about last night's speech? Loved it? Hated it? Never watch those things?

4 comments:

  1. Even though I have a master's in political science, I rarely watch speeches. I do read commentaries on them the next day. :)

    I agree with how when Obama talks, you want to believe him. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it does take a bit of willpower to tune in...I have to admit I always give myself a little pat on the back when I do! ;)

      Delete
  2. Hey lady! Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog yesterday! And as for this post--I couldn't agree with you more. Your opinions sound exactly like mine. You articulated it perfectly!

    I'm interested in checking out that blog. Fact checking is basically my favorite thing to do (prob because I enjoy proving people wrong... ha). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks & efinitely check it out! I love it, although I wish they had gone over a few more of his points - they were grandiose statements flying left and right!

      Delete