Monday, October 31, 2011

Meet the new health drink: Beer!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ~ Benjamin Franklin


Not only that, but apparently, it has now been discovered to have real life health benefits! Can I get a woo-hoo for that? I'll come right out and admit that I have not always been a beer advocate. I was, in fact, so against beer that my friends were alarmed that I begin imbibing. Upon discovering that I 'didn't hate beer as much as I used to,' my college boyfriend remarked, "congratulations on becoming an American" or was it "congratulations on becoming a human"? I can't remember, and I'm not going to ask. But I digress. Back to my main point, which is actually twofold:

1. There are other beers besides Natty Light. This revelation shocked me also, and was a strong influencing factor in my decision to truly give beer 'the ol' college try.'

2. It's not bad for you! More than that, it can do you some good! Some of my personal favorite reasons to crack open a cold one:

 - decrease risk for heart disease by increasing your good cholesterol (HDL)

 - decrease you risk for cancer via the familiar and easy to pronounce compound xanthohumol

big-cat themed beer = 2 loves combined

 - preserve bone density. See ya, osteoporosis!

 - reduce risk for dementia

 - make yourself happy. Happy people are healthier people, right?

this beer dressed up as a bunny for halloween



Don't believe me? Want more? Check out these articles:




Hope you had a wonderful halloweekend and are enjoying a sugar-high-fueled start to your week!

1 comment:

  1. This indeed makes me happy. And I used to hate beer too. Then I discovered craft beers and/or draft beers. Basically anything not out of a can or the traditional bud/natty/miller/corona/etc and I'm happy!

    ReplyDelete