Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Few of My Favorite Things


You may notice from the title of this entry that I finally figured out how to title blog posts. You simply type your desired title into the "Title" box - who knew?!
But I digress. What I really want to discuss is how much I love living on the Upper East Side, and Christmas, and more than anything, these two entities together. In this vein, I would like to share with you some images of my favorite store windows in the 'hood.

As a child, this is what I imagined Christmas to be like. Walking past Hammacher Schlemmer now, a little bit of that childhood wonder sneaks back into my heart. Everything is bright and happy, anything is possible, and Santa is real.


Dear Santa, this year for Christmas, please bring me a miniature, to-scale, 3-D model of Manhattan. Love, Diana.

Don't you love these colors in the Louis Vuitton window display? It's like a magical jewel box discoteca fiesta!


For some reason or another, I loved catching these wreaths laying idle before finding their home on the windows at the Plaza. Something about being in the moment of transition between autumn and Christmas season, I suppose.

A Plaza window already decorated, with a golden chandelier shyly peeking through the curtains.

And of course, Bloomie's - probably the first department store to jump all over the commercialization of the season. Now, call me traditional. Call me old-fashioned. But I simply can't jump on board with the neon colors of the "Happy," "Merry," "Peace" and "Love" poster-art-billboards or what have you. It does not make me feel cozy and tingly like the Hammacher Schlemmer window or quietly warmed like the Plaza wreaths. It makes me feel like a gaudy 80's Christmas scene.

Want more? Don't worry. The season is young and so are we. More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment